Here I’ll tell you the basics to icing. You can use these skills on anything you like, such as cakes or even biscuits. Add a dash of sprinkles and voilà
- 50g butter
- 100g icing sugar
- A few drops of food coloring of your choice (optional)
Tip- for chocolate icing replace the food coloring for 50g of melted chocolate, or you could try 2 tsp of cocoa powder
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the food coloring of your choice, mix it in.
- Fill an piping bag with the butter icing and seal off at the top.
- Now finally ice in a pattern of your choice.
Glacé Icing / Water Icing
- 100g icing sugar
- few drops of food color (optional)
- enough water for a spreadable consistency
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- spoon onto your cakes/cookies and spread.
So here is a really simple, but great tasting, cupcake recipe. For a batch of around 24 yummy cupcakes you will need:
- 200g softened butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self raising flour
- 4 medium sized eggs
Tip- To give my cupcakes a vanilla flavor I add a vanilla pod into my jar of sugar.
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 and place your cupcake cases in a tin.
- Cream together in a bowl the butter and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add one tablespoon of flour to the butter mixture and pour in roughly a quarter of the eggs. Repeat until all your eggs are gone.
- Once the eggs have been combined into the butter mix, sieve in the flour and gently fold.
- Drop teaspoons of the batter into your cases and place into the oven
- Your cupcakes should be ready after around 10-15 minutes or when slightly browned.
- Take your cupcakes out the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Either wait until your cupcakes have cooled down, or simply eat them straight away with a nice steaming cup of tea.
For Ideas on how to decorate your cupcakes, click here.
What you need for truly delicious cookies:
- 210g (7 1/2 oz) Porridge Oats
- 125g (8 oz) Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Bicarb
- 300g (12 oz) Butter, at room temperature ( If using Unsalted Butter, add 1/2 tsp Salt )
- 175g (7 oz) Granulated Sugar
- 175g (7 oz) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 100g (4 oz) Chocolate chips
- 50g (2 oz) walnuts, crushed
How to make these truly delicious cookies:
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4 and line your trays.
- Put the oats into a long jug and using a stick blender grind the oats until fine, stir in the flour,baking powder and bicarb, set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter till creamy
- Add the granulated sugar and cream, once its all combined add the brown sugar till light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating in between.
- slowly beat in the rest of the dry mixture.
- When the dough is still streaky move it onto a clean, floured surface. Lightly flour your hand and lightly knead the dough to finish off the mixing. Do not over mix.
- Using an ice cream scoop, make small mounds of the dough. Roll the mounds into small balls, around 3-4 cm in diameter.
- Place the balls onto a lined baking tray about 5 cm apart and gently flatten them with the palm of your hands.
- Place them in the oven for 15 minutes, until slightly browned. Transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy!
So you clicked through for a Sweet Tooth recipe? Well here is one that will suit your taste-bud’s needs! If your not like me, and you mind when your cookies aren’t circle, simply only put 4-5 on a tray rather than 12.
- 50g melted chocolate
- 150g plain flour
- 20g cocoa
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125g unsalted butter
- 75g brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 cold egg
- 300g chocolate chips
- Put the flour, cocoa and bicarb into a bowl
- Cream together the butter and sugars in another bowl
- Add the melted chocolate and mix together
- Beat in the egg, then mix in the dry ingredients
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop 12 equal mounds onto a greased baking tray- do not flatten them
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, in a preheated oven-gas mark 3/ 170°C, testing with a knife
- Leave to cool slightly, or if you can’t wait- eat straight from the oven!
- Serve with a dollop of ice cream or a generous helping of cream.
This Berry Coulis could be used on any dessert, such as my Lemon Cheesecake
- Handful of mixed berries
- 1 tsp of sugar to taste
- Heat the berries gently in a pan
- Add the sugar and stir until it thickens, sweeten to taste
- Serve on top of any pudding
This Strawberry Shortcake is a great refreshing treat on a hot summers day. As well as strawberries, blueberries taste yum with this dessert too! Instead of doing one big shortcake, do mini ones like in my picture above.
For the shortcake:
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 50g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 5 tablespoons milk
- ½ tablespoon vanilla essence
For the filling:
- 225g strawberries
- 150ml double/whipping cream
- Sugar to taste
- Heat the oven to gas mark 7. Use a paper towel to wipe some cooking oil over a baking tray.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl
- Cut the butter into small chunks. Add the chunks to the flour then rub them in with the tips of your fingers. Carry on until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and make a hallow in the middle of the mixture with a spoon. Then, break an egg into a cup and stir it with a fork, to mix the white and yolk
- Stir in the milk and vanilla into the egg, and then pour the mixture into the hollow in the flour. Mix all the ingredients with a blunt knife, to make a soft dough
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to make a circle shape which is about 20cm across. Lift it into the baking tray and brush with a little milk
- Bake the shortcake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until it has risen and golden brown. Rinse and dry the strawberries then cut them into thick slices.
- Take the shortcake out of the oven and slide it onto wire rack, to cool. When the shortcake is cool, carefully cut it in half horizontally, with a bread knife.
- Pour the cream into a bowl. Whisk it until it is thick. Add sugar to taste
- Using a blunt knife spread half of the creamy mixture over the bottom half of the shortcake. Then lay the strawberry slices all over the top of it.
- Spread the rest of the cream mixture over the strawberries. Lay the top shortcake onto the top. Sift icing sugar over the top of the shortcake.